Modern Notebook for April 26
Coming up on this week’s Modern Notebook, Tyler Kline shares a piano concerto by Sofia Gubaidulina titled Introitus, a work that references the beginning of a religious Mass. Plus, the JACK Quartet performs a string quartet in 3 movements by Laura Elise Schwendinger and a stunning work for viola and orchestra called Voci by Luciano Berio. Featuring performances by pianist Eunmi Ko, the NOW Ensemble, What is Noise, Latitude 49, and more.
- A selection from David Liptak’s Constellations performed by Eunmi Ko.
- Nico Muhly’s How About Now, music the composer describes as a pre-existing “pantry” of musical devices.
- Music for string quartet by Laura Elise Schwendinger, performed by the JACK Quartet.
- Introitus, Sofia Gubaidulina’s Concerto for Piano and Chamber Orchestra.
- Nagoya Marimbas by Steve Reich.
- The group What is Noise performs music by Steven Stucky.
- Luciano Berio’s Voci, music for viola soloist and orchestra that draws on Sicilian folklore.
- You are Free by Sarah Kirkland Snider.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.