Modern Notebook for December 15
Modern Notebook, Sunday December 15 at 8 PM on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9
This week on Modern Notebook, the Argus Quartet will perform a work by Juri Seo written in memoriam of composer Jonathan Harvey. Plus, music for viola and piano by Andrew Norman, Angélica Negrón’s piece Still Here for saxophone, harp, and electronics, and much more. Featuring performances by Admiral Launch Duo, pianist Winston Choi, the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Crash Ensemble, and violinist Jennifer Koh.
- Solo piano music by Jeffrey Mumford written as a tribute to composer Elliott Carter.
- Jonathan Harvey‘s Be(com)ing for clarinet and piano, which features some fairly demanding techniques for both performers.
- Respiri by Juri Seo, a string quartet piece composed in memoriam of Jonathan Harvey.
- Esa-Pekka Salonen‘s Insomnia.
- A work by Angélica Negrón called Still Here scored for saxophone, harp, and electronics.
- Fast Blue Village 2 by Elena Kats-Chernin.
- Music by Andrew Norman inspired by fragments of sonnets by Shakespeare, performed by violist Anne Leilehua Lanzilotti and pianist Karl Larson.
- Naomi Pinnock‘s Between.
- Graal théâtre by Kaija Saariaho, a work for solo violin and chamber ensemble.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.