Modern Notebook for February 9
Modern Notebook, Sunday February 9th, 2020 at 8 PM on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9
On this week’s Modern Notebook, Tyler Kline shares a work by Lei Liang for pipa and chamber orchestra, Five Seasons, which draws on traditional Chinese and Japanese music and instruments; and music by Zosha di Castri, Donnacha Dennehy, Kenji Bunch, and others. Featuring performances from Eunmi Ko, Gao Hong, Mary Elizabeth Bowden, the JACK Quartet, the Alias Chamber Ensemble, and more.
- Pianist Eunmi Ko performs music by Hilary Tann.
- Donnacha Dennehy‘s Canons and Overtones, which contrasts equal temperament figures with overtone-based harmonies
- What Gathers, What Lingers by Anna Weesner.
- Music by Kenji Bunch, String Circle, which pays tribute to various American string music traditions.
- Gabriel Kahane‘s My grave shall be the fathomless air, inspired by Jorge Luis Borges’ short story, The Library of Babel.
- Lei Liang‘s pipa concerto, Five Seasons.
- Chrysalis by Sarah Kirkland Snider.
- Zosha di Castri performed by the JACK Quartet.
- John Adams‘ Road Movies, for violin and piano.
Also, Tyler gives a preview of the upcoming New Music New College concerts, Living and Dead: The Gettysburg Project. It’s happening Saturday, February 15 and Sunday, February 16, both performances at 3:00 PM in the College Hall Music Room at Sarasota’s New College. (www.newmusicnewcollege.org)
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.