Modern Notebook for January 12
Modern Notebook, Sunday January 12th, 2020 at 8 PM on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9
On Modern Notebook this week, we’ll hear a piece by Zosha di Castri inspired by a strange procession of different people and sounds, and an “anti-concerto” for saxophone and orchestra by Lei Liang. Plus, Tyler Kline shares a conversation with composer and multi-instrumentalist Jen Shyu ahead of her performance at Sarasota’s New College on January 18. Featured performances by pianist Eunmi Ko, cellist Caitlin Sullivan, the Boston Modern Orchestra Project, and Talea Ensemble.
- Lyra from David Liptak‘s solo piano work Constellations.
- Xiaoxiang for saxophone and orchestra by Lei Liang.
- Mary Kouyoumdjian‘s The Revolt of the Stars, music inspired by the Armenian fable of the same name.
- Magnus Lindberg performed by the New York Philharmonic.
- Cortège by Zosha di Castri.
- Jen Shyu joins Tyler for a conversation ahead of her upcoming performance at New College on January 18. Jen is a composer, vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, dancer, and producer, who will be presenting her ritualistic solo work Nine Doors as part of the New Music New College series. More information at newmusicnewcollege.org.
- Libby Larsen‘s Marimba Concerto: After Hampton, which is titled after Lionel Hampton.
- The NOW Ensemble performs music by Mark Dancigers.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.