Modern Notebook for January 19
Modern Notebook, Sunday January 19th, 2020 at 8 PM on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9
On a special Modern Notebook this week, Tyler Kline will give a run down of this year’s Grammy nominees, including a movement from Julia Wolfe’s Fire in my Mouth, which was nominated for Best Contemporary Classical Composition; a recording of the PUBLIQuartet performing music by Jessica Meyer, who will be joining ensemblenewSRQ on their January 20th concert; plus music from Christopher Cerrone, Andrew Norman, and more.
- The second movement of Jennifer Higdon‘s Harp Concerto.
- Get Into the Now by Jessica Meyer.
- Music for voice and ensemble by Christopher Cerrone performed by the Los Angeles-based ensemble WildUp with soprano Lindsay Kesselman.
- Kaija Saariaho‘s Ciel D’hiver.
- The first movement, Immigration, from Julia Wolfe‘s oratorio Fire in my Mouth, inspired by the tragic story of the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and its aftermath.
- A moment from David Skidmore‘s Aliens with Extraordinary Abilities.
- Nadia Shpachenko performs music by Hannah Lash.
- Limestone & Felt by Caroline Shaw.
- Music by Andrew Norman commissioned by the Los Angeles Philharmonic for their centennial season.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.