Modern Notebook for July 19
On this week’s Modern Notebook, Tyler Kline will be joined by percussionist and educator Bob McCormick, who has a newly-released album of co-commissions with the trio Strings & Hammers.
We’ll hear some selections from that CD, plus Bob will talk about his career as a percussionist and his recent retirement from the University of South Florida, where he served as a Professor of Music for 45 years.
Also on the show: music by Huang Ruo, Anna Weesner, and Victoria Cheah; and performances by Quince Ensemble, the PRISM Quartet, violinist Miranda Cuckson, and more.
That’s on the next Modern Notebook, Sunday night from 8 to 10 on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9.
- mild, light from David Lang’s Love Fail.
- Anna Weesner’s The Nearness of Things.
- A newly-released recording of music by Huang Ruo performed by the Shanghai Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Break Away by Jessie Montgomery, which blends elements of composed music with improvised music.
- a gamelan in the distance by Orlando Jacinto Garcia, composed in memory of Lou Harrison.
- Bob McCormick joins Tyler on the show to talk about his newest album, in collaboration with Strings & Hammers; and preview music by Anthony R. Green and Eduardo Costa Roldán from the CD.
- Tell: Quartet by Victoria Cheah.
- Toru Takemitsu’s work for guitar, oboe d’amore, and chamber orchestra titled Vers, l’arc-en-ciel, Palma.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.