Modern Notebook for June 14
On this week’s Modern Notebook: hear a Piano Concerto with percussion ensemble by David Liptak featuring USF faculty pianist Eunmi Ko. Plus, a new release from the Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble, performing a work by Paula Matthusen created from experiments with the resonances in South Dakota’s Wind Cave.
Featuring music by Jennifer Jolley, Lansing McLoskey, Dai Fujikura, and Egidija Medekšaitė; with performances by Cobalt Duo, the Leviathan Trio, the PRISM Quartet, and more.
Join Tyler Kline for Modern Notebook, Sunday night from 8 to 10 on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9.
- The first movement of Cindy Cox’s Waves.
- Jennifer Jolley’s Flight 710 to Cabo San Lucas.
- Music for piano trio by Lansing McLoskey titled Tinted.
- Flare for string quartet by Dai Fujikura, who describes writing the piece as imagining “sitting around a campfire as a child, watching the embers flaring off into the sky.”
- Music by Caroline Shaw called Really Craft When You, which incorporates recordings from the 1970s of quilters from North Carolina and Virginia.
- Joseph Sowa’s Motion Lines.
- Textile 1 by Egidija Medekšaitė.
- Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble performs music by Paula Matthusen.
- Concerto for Piano and Percussion Ensemble by David Liptak.
- Music for flute and chamber orchestra by Laura Elise Schwendinger titled Waking Dream.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.