Modern Notebook for June 21
On the next Modern Notebook, Tyler Kline shares a work by Finnish composer Maija Hynninen for violin and electronics called Dawn Breaks, which is intertwined with the music of Hildegard von Bingen. Plus, the String Quartet Number 3 by Eleanor Alberga, a work that blends tonal elements with 12-tone series.
Featuring music by Kirk O’Riordan, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Gabriela Lena Frank; and performances by violinist Mirka Malmi, Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble, Ensemble Arcadiana, and more.
Tune in Sunday night from 8 to 10 on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9. Streaming at wsmr.org, and on the WUSF Public Media App.
- A re-imagining of George Gershwin’s Summertime by Toru Takemitsu.
- Maija Hynninen’s ….sicut aurora procedit: As the Dawn Breaks, for violin and electronics.
- Four Beautiful Songs by Kirk O’Riordan, which sets poems by Lee Upton that address the concept of “beauty” in different ways.
- Esa-Pekka Salonen’s Foreign Bodies.
- Niko Schroeder’s Canvas the Bear.
- Music for flute and piano by Gabriela Lena Frank inspired by Peruvian photographer Martín Chambi.
- Eleanor Alberga’s String Quartet No. 3.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.