Modern Notebook for March 22
On this week’s Modern Notebook, we’ll hear music for percussion quartet by Andy Akiho featured on a new release from Sandbox Percussion. Plus, a clarinet concerto by Kaija Saariaho which takes inspiration from six medieval tapestries. Featuring performances by yMusic, Unheard-of//Ensemble, pianist Nicholas Phillips, bassoonist Rebekah Heller, and others.
- Tessellations by Gabriella Smith.
- Arlene Sierra’s orchestral work, Aquilo.
- Unheard-of//Ensemble performs music by Nikitas Demos.
- In forests of evaporating time, a string quartet work by Jeffrey Mumford.
- Chen Yi’s Duo Ye No. 2.
- Music by Andy Akiho featured on a newly-released album by Sandbox Percussion.
- On speaking a hundred names for bassoon and live processing by Nathan Davis.
- Kaija Saariaho’s clarinet concerto, D’om le Vrai Sense.
- In the Midst by Ingrid Stölzel.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.