Modern Notebook for March 29
Coming up on this week’s Modern Notebook: join Tyler Kline for music by Lisa Bielawa for solo violin and soprano voice, as well as music by Viet Cuong, inspired by the art of Michael Gard, performed by the group Latitude 49. Plus, a piano concerto with percussion orchestra by Matthew Barber performed by pianist Eunmi Ko with Robert McCormick’s percussion group. Featuring performances by yMusic, Unheard-of//Ensemble, violinist Jennifer Koh, violist Peter Dutilly with pianist Holly Roadfeldt, and others.
- Dance, the third movement of Esa-Pekka Salonen’s Foreign Bodies.
- Lisa Bielawa’s Sanctuary Songs for violin and soprano voice.
- Prayer Stones by Kirk O’Riordan.
- Viet Cuong’s Wax and Wire.
- HEARE Ensemble performs the music of Stacy Garrop.
- Procession – process:peace (Dona Nobis Pacem) by Reiko Füting
- Traditional Scandinavian folk music re-imagined by the Danish String Quartet.
- Solo piano music by Arlene Sierra: the first book of her Birds and Insects.
- Matthew Barber’s Kid Stuff: Five Figments for Piano and Percussion Orchestra.
- yMusic performs music by Caroline Shaw from their newly-released album.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.