Modern Notebook for May 3
This week on Modern Notebook, Tyler Kline will share a spectrum of 21st Century string quartet music from three different composers… including a work by Lembit Beecher performed by the Aizuri Quartet. Plus, music for solo steel pan and percussion ensemble by Baljinder Sekhon called “Passageways.”
Also on the show, Jennifer Koh performs Nina C. Young; music by Whitney George performed by pianist Nicholas Phillips; as well as Heare Ensemble, ALIAS Chamber Ensemble, and more.
- Confounded to Decay from Andrew Norman’s Sonnets.
- Quijotadas by Gabriela Lena Frank.
- Music for clarinet, violin, and piano by Anna Weesner: Light and Stone.
- Lembit Beecher’s work for string quartet, Sophia’s Wide Awake Dream.
- Whitney George’s Reunion Ibis.
- Bencharong by Narong Prangcharoen.
- Jennifer Koh performs music for violin and electronics by Nina C. Young.
- “The Figure”, Judith Lang Zaimont’s first string quartet.
- Steel pan soloist Dave Gerhart performs music by Baljinder Sekhon.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.