Modern Notebook for May 31
This week’s Modern Notebook features a recording from November 2019 of the HK Gruber Cello Concerto, featuring cellist Scott Klukdahl and the University of South Florida Symphony Orchestra led by Dr. William Wiedrich.
Plus, we’ll hear music by Kristin Kuster, Hilary Tann, and Lansing McLoskey; and performances from Eighth Blackbird, Quince Ensemble, The newEar Ensemble, flutist Lindsey Goodman, and others.
That’s on the next Modern Notebook, Sunday night from 8 to 10 EDT on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9.
- Guernica for solo piano by Beata Moon.
- Lansing McLoskey’s Specific Gravity: 27.2, music written for the 20th Anniversary of the newEar Ensemble.
- Music by Jace Clayton performed by the Bang on a Can All-Stars.
- Anna Weesner’s piano trio Lift High, Reckon – Fly Low, Come Close.
- HK Gruber’s Cello Concerto featuring cellist Scott Kluksdahl and the University of South Florida Symphony Orchestra conducted by Dr. William Wiedrich.
- Josh Oxford’s Bluez….
- PRISM Quartet performs music by Kristin Kuster.
- Music by David Lang from his large-scale work Love Fail.
- A newly released recording from the Sirius Quartet performing music by Hilary Tann.
- Joan Tower’s Petroushskates.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.