Modern Notebook for November 24
Modern Notebook, Sunday November 24 at 8 PM on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9
This week’s Modern Notebook highlights two large scale works from the Late 20th Century: the Piano Concerto by György Ligeti and Harmonium by John Adams; plus, beautiful and evocative music from this century by Missy Mazzoli, Anna Clyne, and Julia Wolfe.
- Edgard Varèse’s Un grand sommeil noir for soprano and orchestra.
- A work by Missy Mazzoli that seeks to “find beauty in chaos, and chaos in beauty”: Still Life With Avalanche.
- György Ligeti’s Piano Concerto.
- Anna Clyne‘s double concerto for two violins, Prince of Clouds.
- Rain Tree Sketch by Toru Takemitsu.
- Julia Wolfe‘s A Wild Furze, which takes its title from a wild plant that grows throughout Ireland and the U.K.
- Beata Moon‘s Wind Quintet.
- Music for large orchestra and chorus: Harmonium by John Adams.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.