Modern Notebook for February 16
Modern Notebook, Sunday February 16th, 2020 at 8 PM on Classical WSMR 89.1 and 103.9
On this week’s Modern Notebook, Tyler Kline shares John Luther Adams’ gigantic, Pulitzer Prize-winning orchestral work, Become Ocean, along with works by Caroline Shaw, Jeffrey Mumford, and others. Featuring performances from pianist Nicholas Susi, violist Anne Leilehua Lanzilotti, eighth blackbird, and the Seattle Symphony.
- Luftklavier (“Air Piano”) from Luciano Berio’s Six Encores.
- Jeffrey Mumford‘s through a stillness brightening for violin and chamber ensemble.
- In manu tuas by Caroline Shaw, solo viola music based on a 16th-century motet by Thomas Tallis.
- Music for percussion and electronics: Kaija Saariaho‘s Six Japanese Gardens.
- Four Fragments by Huang Ruo.
- Eleventh Hour from Roshanne Etezady‘s Damaged Goods.
- Song for Andrew by Laura Elise Schwendinger.
- John Luther Adams‘ Become Ocean.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.