Modern Notebook for March 8
This Sunday, March 8, is International Women’s Day, and Modern Notebook will be celebrating with two hours of music composed by women composers, including music by Nina Simone, Kaija Saariaho, and Annika Socolofsky. Plus, a brand new piece by Susanna Hancock performed by ~Nois, and the entirety of Julia Wolfe’s Fire in My Mouth, a work that pays homage to the 100 young victims of the devastating Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire of 1911.
- Kaija Saariaho‘s Nocturne for solo violin.
- A new release from the group yMusic with music by Missy Mazzoli.
- Fodder on my Wings by Nina Simone.
- Music by Gabriela Lena Frank inspired by Peruvian textiles: Hilos, or Threads.
- A brand new piece for saxophone quartet by Susanna Hancock called HIATUS.
Modern Notebook is hosted by WSMR’s Tyler Kline, and is a program that highlights music composed since the Mid-20th Century, with a special focus on the music of living composers.